Open Space Technology was discovered by Harrison Owen as a better way to unleash the power of self-organization in teams, organizations, and communities. The Open Space Institute of the United States (OSI-US) believes that inspired behavior can be an everyday experience and that humanity is limited by its perceptions of the possible. The OSI-US was created to grow that sense of possibility and make it a reality by focusing on: learning, research and practice.
“When peace is threatened, the appropriate response is simply to open space. In doing so, the chaotic, conflicted human systems are invited to do what only they can do: self-organize to new and higher levels of complexity more in harmony with each other, their environment and their inner needs.”
From the book Wave Rider, Leadership for High Performance in a Self-Organizing World by Harrison Owen, 2008
International House, New York City
January 13-15, 2017
You are invited to learn, experience and apply the age-old force of self-organization as we individually and collectively engage, explore and deepen our understanding and practice of Open Space Technology around this call to action:
“Opening Space Everywhere and Anywhere -
The Time is Now”
Wait. What's So Great About Open Space Technology?
Open Space Technology is an interesting "whole group" process.
And it seems so simple, on the surface:
"..sit in a Circle,"
"...build a Bulletin Board,"
"....open a Marketplace,"
"....and go to work."
This is NOT complicated. So: what EXACTLY is the big deal?
What's so great about Open Space Technology?
YOU are invited to answer this question!
Announcing: The Open Space Institute U.S. "What's so Great" Video Program
We want your video!
The Open Space Institute U.S. cordially invites you to participate in our "What's So Great" Video Program.
All you have to do to participate is answer that burning question, in 2 minutes or less, via VIDEO.
What's so great about Open Space Technology? The goal is to create an absolutely astonishing set of videos that make people laugh (and perhaps cry,) as they browse these short video testimonials.
Your uploaded video will be immediately inspected by OSI-US. And if all goes well, we will immediately post it to the newly created Open Space Technology channel on YOUTUBE. We will also link to it from the OSI-US web site, and utterly promote it (and YOU) across all of social media, across all time and all space, open or otherwise, forever.
So that's the idea: video yourself, in any format, with or without others, while answering answer the burning question:
"What's so great about Open Space Technology?"
Here are the Ground Rules:
1. All submissions are by video only;
2. All videos submitted not to exceed 2 minutes;
3. All videos submitted must be absolutely free of any shameless marketing hype. You may however tastefully (and optionally) display your website URL for up to 10 seconds. You can edit it in, or simply hold up a handwritten note if you wish. Please keep it short, tasteful and non-sales-oriented. Ten seconds max.
4. All videos submitted must be in one of the Youtube-supported video file formats, listed here: https://support.google.com/youtube/troubleshooter/2888402
5. All videos are uploaded for inspection and approval by OSI-US, via the following Google Drive URL (set up just for you): http://bit.do/open-space-testify
6. NOTE: By uploading your video, you are explicitly granting OSI-US a perpetual, non-exclusive license to publish your video, worldwide, across any and all media, without exception, forever, until the end of time, or the end of the world as we know it, whichever occurs first.
7. Send an email to email@example.com after you have uploaded your video, to notify us here at OSI-US that you have uploaded your astonishing video. From there, we will process your submission. (Please put "What's So Great About OST" in the subject line also include your name and phone number in the email.)
You are invited to play the game!
See how Open Space Technology has been used in Egypt after the revolution in the wonderful short video.